Hard chrome plating is the process of applying a layer of chromium to a metal object. Hard chrome, often called industrial chrome, differs from decorative chrome in that it is primarily functional rather than aesthetic. Decorative chrome’s fundamental purpose is to enhance the visual appeal of an object by applying a thin chrome coating. Hard chrome plating is much more durable through a wide range of uses and environments.
The first step in the industrial chrome plating process is typically degreasing and cleaning the surface to prepare it for the chromium application. This surface is known as the substrate. This component may also need other types of pretreatment depending on its makeup. The plating professional will then lower it into an electrochemical bath until they achieve the desired thickness.
How is Hard Chrome Plating Applied?
Chrome plating uses an electrolytic application process to add a layer of chromium to a metal component inside an electrolytic bath.
The chrome plating process typically includes these stages:
- Remove any heavy soiling by degreasing the metal component.
- Clean the substrate thoroughly to eliminate all residual dirt and surface impurities.
- Perform the appropriate pretreatments. Depending on the substrate, chemicals to improve adhesion may be necessary.
- Submerge the component into a chrome plating vat for chrome dipping, then leave it to warm to the correct temperature.
- Apply the electric current for the required time, so chromium deposits on the component surface to the desired thickness.
The chrome dipping and electrolytic process apply hard chrome plating evenly to most metal components, regardless of the shape, size or surface texture. The primary difference between hard chrome and decorative chrome plating is its final thickness. Hard chrome finishes are significantly thicker to improve their strength, wear resistance and corrosion resistance for industrial applications.
Chrome plated bar is chromium-plated steel product that can be supplied as piston rods in standard hydraulic and pneumatic applications.As a professional chrome plated bar manufacturer and supplier,Datong has been supplying and exporting chrome piston rod for almost 20 years.
Hydraulic cylinder chrome piston rods widely used in hydraulic system with precision steel tube, hydraulic press with precision steel tube, shipbuilding with steel tube, hydraulic machinery,hydraulic cutting machine, hydraulic equipment, hydraulic tubing, engineering machinery.